6 Things to Know Now about Marketing to Moms for Back to School
Although the Class of 2023 are just walking across the stage and younger students are still turning in homework, it’s never too early to plan your Back-to-School marketing. In fact, most seasoned marketers know that Moms are already thinking about the new school year as the current one wraps up.
Here’s a few tips and trick to lay a foundation for your brand and products when planning for Back-to-School 2023 success.
- Don’t base your Back-to-School marketing and communication calendar on New York City schools. Schools south of the Mason Dixon line begin as early as August 1st. If you wait until after Labor Day when New York schools go back, a large part of your market has already been in school for a month.
- Moms begin shopping for Back to School in May. Yes, May. In fact, the older the child, the sooner she shops. Decision Day is May 1st, and it signifies the start of spending for parents of the Class of 2023. More than 65% of college bound students begin their college experience with a summer program which means Moms are shopping now for dorm supplies. High school and middle school moms often use the same backpacks and supplies they purchase in June for summer camp for the upcoming school year. First time elementary school moms are often overwhelmed with the long list of required supplies, so they start stocking up in July.
- Allow Mom to Look Clever. Back to School Season is Mom’s time to shine. She goes into the season with aspirations to improve on things that her family struggled with last year like eating heathy and using time efficiently and finding solutions that make her look smart is always appealing.
- Families will be looking for ways to save money. With the fear of a recession and job layoffs happening daily, moms will be shopping cautiously this Back-to-School season. This doesn’t have to mean reducing the price of your products rather find ways to add value thru bundling, portion size or exclusive content.
- Today’s Moms believe in upcycling. Feature ways to utilize your products in different ways throughout the lifecycle of its usage. For instance, products packaged in glass might demonstrate in a Tik Tok video ways to convert the empty jar into a pencil holder or kitchen garden by adding soil and seeds.
- Make it easy for moms to find your products. Many brand managers spend so much time communicating product features that they forget about telling moms where to purchase the product.
Earn an A+ this school shopping season by taking mom’s advice and don’t wait until the last minute. Plan now for success and you’ll be glad you did when sales begin to surge during the summer.
BSM Media, Inc. is an award-winning and internationally recognized Marketing to Moms agency specializing in strategic outreach, influencer engagement, and content creation. BSM Media also owns and operates MomSelect Influencer Network, MillennialInfluencers.com, GenZInfluencers.com, and Mommyparties.com.
Maria Bailey is the CEO of BSM Media and the author of “Marketing to Moms: Getting Your Share of the Trillion Dollar Market,” “Power Moms,” “Millennial Moms: 202 Facts Marketers Need to Know to Build Brands and Drive Sales,” and the soon to be released “Marketing to Gen Z Moms.” She is a frequent keynote speaker and media expert. She can be reached at Maria@bsmmedia.com. Learn more about Maria Bailey at www.MariaBailey.com.
Leave a Comments